About the Library | Our History
Prior to amalgamation in 2001, Libraries could be found in Foresterís Falls (Ross Township), Cobden and Beachburg (the last two with a contract for Westmeath Township residents).
The Ross Township Library opened in 1902, making the rounds of many homes and businesses in Foresters Falls. In June 1970 the Library moved into St. Aidenís Anglican Church and for the next 32 years this was their home. After amalgamation the council chamber became available and the library moved once again in 2002 and now can be found at 2022 Foresters Falls Road.
The Cobden Library opened in 1903. This library also moved to various locations on Main Street (60, 47, 48, Memorial Hall and 41 Main Street at one time housed the library). In 1982 a portable building was acquired and for the next 18 years the library was located behind the Memorial Hall. Once again a larger space was required and an agreement was entered into with Caressant Care Nursing and Retirement Home for library space to be included in their building plans. The Cobden Library has been at 12 Wren Drive since 2000.
The Beachburg Library is the new kid on the block having only been formed in 1967. Moving to different locations in the early days of Libraries seems to be a theme ... and the Beachburg Library was no different. In 1980, they moved into the Bank of Nova Scotia building on Main Street and were there for the next 17 years. Their last move was in 1997 into the newly renovated Beachburg Public School at 20 Cameron Street.
After amalgamation into the Township of Whitewater Region in 2001, the three original Libraries, now called branches, are maintained under one library board.